Thursday, April 14, 2016

My Life As a Journalist

As a telecommunication-news major at the University of Florida, there are so many forms of media that we are exposed to. As I am wrapping up my third year and entering my final year, I have reported for radio and TV and written for web for sports as well as worked in sports radio. I have developed a website and uploaded content to YouTube. I am active on social media such as Twitter and Facebook. In the college of Journalism we are even given the opportunity to enroll in classes that help us in creating personal projects such as apps that can be featured on the CMIR (Center for Media Innovation and Research) website for faculty, fellow peers, and employers to see.

This semester I took TV 2, a class that I think has prepared me the best for the field I want to go into post graduation. I would like to be in TV development and this class has given myself and my peers great practice for what that entails. I had my news shifts every Thursday. The day started off by attending a morning meeting where I and other reporters pitched news stories to our producers and directors.  Once we got assigned our stories we put out calls to get sources to conduct on-camera interviews. We then go to scene and conduct interviews, film B-roll , and shoot a stand-up. Deadline is at 5PM so we have to make sure to come back to the newsroom a few hours before showtime to ensure that we have sufficient time to write the script, edit the video, get script approved, track the script, then put the whole package together and export before the clock strikes 5. At this point as a reporter you can either front the package live from the newsroom, the studio or from the site depending on the producer. After the show has aired, we head down to the studio for a final wrap up meeting where we get feedback. And that's a typical day reporting.

Here is the latest package I did for First at Five about Zika and blood/ platelet donations:


No comments:

Post a Comment